Thursday, March 31, 2011

Walnut Pen and Pencil Set

27Walnut3i


Remember the walnut pen I posted earlier? Well here are the 2 sister blanks turned into a pen and pencil set for my dad.

I wasn't exactly happy with how they turned out. The wood apparently was cut on an angle so there was a lot of tear out and chipping as I turned them - even after I had sharpened my tools. I tried to make them identical, but the bulge on the pen turned out smaller than the pencil.

I really am not a fan of the black enamel kits that I have, so I mixed them up with Rhodium clips from a couple of broken kits. PSI, for better or worse, seems to have a habit of sending defective or broken kits. At first I was bummed when I learned that I couldn't return them or exchange them for other kits - but then the creative juices started flowing and I've been able to salvage many of the parts for other kits.

Anyways, the wood is beautiful. And I'm very pleased with that part. I learned my lesson though - use calipers or make simpler designs when creating sets =)

No comments: